Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Unpacking my Kickstarter goodies

After almost a year, two of my 'gifts' for supporting two Kickstarter projects arrived by courier. I consider myself lucky as some Kickstarter projects apparently never deliver a product to their supporters.
The 'Slingshot' is a tripod/cradle for a smart phone to help you stabilise the phone when you use if it take still pictures or more importantly, video. The handle has a nifty set of extra legs which allow you to sit the unit Ina bench or table. Unscrew the legs and the cradle will mount on a standard tripod thread. Very neat. I have two to give away - FREE, check my video post later in the week for details.
The second items is a Metawatch. This is a pre-release model and it's designed to link via Bluetooth to your smart phone and display key information on the watch face. Things like SMS message, emails, missed calls, etc. I still have to get it all configured as it has a few bugs still.
Kickstarter is one way to raise crowd-funding. The E-Pebble watch, which is similar to the Metawatch, raised $10m after initially asking for $100k. I'm waiting for that to arrive also.
I suppose this is one way of supporting great ideas and becoming an early adopter of new technology.


No comments: