Monday, January 7, 2013

Chasing history

For all my life I've known the (short) story of my great-grandfather. At age 18 he left home in Gothenberg in Sweden, jumped a sailing ship and emigrated to Australia. At the same time his brother headed for the US. Fridolf Johannsen landed in Melbourne where he married, started a business and had 11 children, the eldest of which was my grandfather.
Sadly nothing is known of the Swedish Johannsens and so I have no idea of the family that was left behind by the two brothers. Apparently it was 10 years before Fridolf wrote to his parents telling them where he was and what he was doing.
Motivated by one of my sons, I've done some initial research and although the on-line businesses that advertise their genealogical promise to make such research easy - it isn't. (They want you to sign up for $40 + a month, just to start a family search.)
So I've contacted a local geneaological society in Sweden to see if they can help.
If I find anything interesting, I'll post it here.

No comments: