Saturday, January 5, 2013

My turn to stay home ...

Over the past few years I've been privileged to travel with my business, filming aid projects in Asia and Africa for various clients. One of my favourite countries is Cambodia where I have been five times. (You can see some of the videos and TV I programs made in Cambodia on my Youtube channel. http://is.gd/6VJAT8)
Next month however it's my turn to stay at home while my wife travels with a Mission team from our church. Our church has been sending short-term teams to Cambodia for some time and it has certainly given the whole church a greater understanding of how Christianity can benefit a developing country like Cambodia.
The team will spend two weeks in country and for most of that time will visit local aid projects. At some, they'll get involved by teaching English and building water filters but in my experience, the real value is in what the team will learn. The recent history of Cambodia is truly tragic and the impact of the Pol Pot era is evident still throughout the country,
But there is hope - mainly in the younger generation who were born after the Khmer Rouge were toppled. One of the big problems is trust. In Pol Pot's time, you didn't trust anyone - your wife/husband, your children or your parents. You never knew who might be an informer.
It's hard to build a country without trust - but the younger generation seem to be getting it right.
At least l'll be able to follow the team as they travel to places I have been a number of times and I'll be able to 'picture' what they're experiencing. Here's more on the team.

No comments: