Saturday, June 4, 2011

Looking at the world digitally ...

I've been wearing reading glasses for 15 years or so and despite the annoyance of occasionally misplacing them, they're a part of life. On my most recent visit to my friendly optometrist I decided to try a pair of multi-focus lenses. Whilst I knew that would mean wearing them all the time, at least I would have progressive correction as things got closer-which sounded perfect.
The lenses are called digital lenses because of the way they're made. The top of the lense is for distance viewing with the bottom set for close-up work and reading.
The one problem is that the manufacturing process used means that the bottom left and right corners of the lense is blurry - which means a quite narrow 'field of focus' in the bottom of the lense.
So instead of seeing the whole page of a book or my computer screen in focus from left to right, there is a 'hot spot' in the middle which at times only covers a few words. This means I either have to track the book left to right as I read, or move my whole head.
Both options are a bit of a nuisance - so there is one alternative left to try which will give me a slightly wider reading angle at the bottom.
I hope it works ...

No comments: