Monday, December 29, 2008

Outsourcing web design off shore ....

Because I am starting a new business, I decided to revamp my web site. Son Nathan from Blacklist Studios did the design for me, and provided me with a psd file in layers with all the elements of the new design.
I have a number of local mates who do web site coding from psd files, doing all the cut-ups and integrating with the content management system I use.
However this is never cheap and as I was chatting to a mate he said why not use the web to 'hire a coder', someone usually resident in India or South East Asia at a much lower hourly rate. I had heard that this was a growing web business and so I went to www.elance.com, created a profile for myself, authorised my creditcard and pitched the job I had to their pool of web coders.
I had four quick responses from IT guys in India and one in Indonesia, to whom I 'gave' the job.
I have had to put the agreed charge ($120) into an Escrow account which I will release once the job has been completed. I am able to view the developing site and work back and forth with BV as he works on the design.
All started well, but he took much longer than agreed to do what I asked and then it was the wrong size. I almost cancelled on him, but today he e-mailed me and said he had been in hospital and very ill. I have told him that I am happy to continue - given his illness, but he needs to commit to some timelines.
Been an interesting process, managing someone you don't know over the web via the ELance interface. I was in 2 minds about continuing with him, given that I hadn't heard from him for a week - but I thought he deserved another chance ...
I'll let you know how it goes and hopefully you'll be able to see the results very soon.

No comments: