Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Back to work and back to business ... mine


The tag line under the title of this blog promised that it would be a regular account of my moving from being a staffer with a non-profit organisation to a consultant in the same sector. So, here's my first posting on this topic - a very personal one for me.
I started working for an employer in 1966. Now, 42 years later and seven different employers I am about to start a new career, that of working for myself.
Why now? Its hard to pin-point a single reason, but it's a combination of, "if I don't do it now, I never will," through being fed up with battling Sydney's traffic every day (up to 3 hours a day commuting) to wanting to simply be more in charge of my own future.
When I spoke to my accountant, who set up my Pty Ltd company structure, he said he was always surprised at how may people had 'sat in that chair' and said they were 'scared at taking this step' and then 12 months later said it was the best thing they ever did. I'm hoping that that will be me.
I've also heard the joke, "how do you start a small business?" "Just start a medium sized business ... and wait."
Each of my three sons now run their own business - you can see their web sites listed on the right, so that's also an incentive. Great thing is that they work in similar areas to me, film making, graphic design and photography. The image above (reverse of my business card) was designed by Nathan from Blacklist Studios. Check out his blog also - some nice stuff there.
In the next month I'll be setting up my home office (with help from J) and putting my marketing campaign together, which will be mainly web and e-mail based.
More tomorrow ...
Martin

No comments: