Thursday, May 30, 2013

Pebble Watch keeps me connected

One of the Pebble watches clock faces
Over a year ago I came across a KickStarter project called Pebble. It was a watch that linked to your SmartPhone via Bluetooth. I liked the concept and could see how it might be useful.
It was also a cool looking gadget and so I became one of their funders through the KickStarter crowdfunding web site.
Their concept made crowd funding history. Their goal was to raise $100,000 but in just over a month they raised $10,266,845.
Talk about over subscribed.
Like all new projects the Pebble guys had their ups and downs but they've finally delivered and amazingly it works. (KickStarter has been criticised recently for listing projects that have failed with no way of funders getting their money back.) For a while, I thought the Pebble watch was going the same way - but not so.
Here's why it works for me.
It's linked to my iPhone via Bluetooth. (Works on Android too). Generally my iPhone is either in my pocket, on my desk or in my bag if I am out.
When I get a call, the Pebble vibrates once and displays the caller ID. If my iPhone is in my bag and I am in a meeting, which is often the case, I won't hear it ring. But I will feel the watch vibrate and I can quickly see the caller ID. From the Pebble I can decide to answer the call or cancel it.
I have to pick up the phone to take the call of course once I answer it from the Pebble, but it's great being able to see who is calling from my watch.
If I am sent a text/SMS, this also comes up on the screen and I can scroll through the message. Again if my iPhone is in my pocket or my bag or even behind me on the desk - I can quickly see the message and decide what I need to do.
There are more Pebble apps being designed daily and as it has an accelerometer built in, it has potential for those who want to monitor their physical activity.
It comes in a few colours - all on their web site.
Worth checking out and a KickStarter project that actually works.

No comments: